Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"He Said Kill It Before It Grow"

Sheriff John Brown always hated me,
For what, I don't know:
Every time I plant a seed,
He said kill it before it grow -
He said kill them before they grow.
- Bob Marley, "I Shot The Sheriff"

Sometimes licking the gallbladder is not enough to remind one of past humiliations.
Sometimes licking the gallbladder is not enough to fuel the hatred in the breast.
Sometimes, one needs to lose everything to understand hatred.

Betrayed by friends, Hulk found friends on a new world.
Warbound friends on a cruel world ruled by a red tyrant.
Warbound monsters fighting the pinkies.

Many year ago, Hulk found love in the heart of the atom.
The monster screamed love in the heart of the atom.
Jarella was gone. So was Betty. Now, Hulk is on Sakaar.
Hulk became the Sakaarson, the Worldbreaker, the Green Scar, and finally King Holku.
Hulk found love in the arms of Caeira the Oldstrong.
The Worldbreaker became a builder.
Plants grew wherever his blood dripped on the ground.
Lovely Caeira carried his seed, his heir.

Then with a bomb, everything was taken away once more.
A parting gift from old friends.
The monster screams, "Bring them back..."
The monster cries silently on his knees, "Bring her back..."

Sheriff John Brown always hated me,
For what, I don't know:
Every time I plant a seed,
He said kill it before it grow -
He said kill them before they grow.
- Bob Marley, "I Shot The Sheriff"


I finally read "Planet Hulk" yesterday afternoon. Got the book for more than a year already. Even my wife's read it already. Even my cousin in Australia read it already. Even the Liffle Taffer read it already. But I did not read it - until yesterday afternoon...

I read "Planet Hulk" yesterday afternoon. I thought about Bob Marley and his song about that asshole Sheriff John Brown. I remembered the lyrics about planting seeds and killing it before it grew. And I understood hatred.

I read "Planet Hulk" yesterday afternoon. I see the man-monster betrayed and exiled. I see the man-monster down on his knees. Defeated. Weakened. In pain. In desperation. Then rising up. Fighting back. Banding with other rejects, other monsters, other survivors in a blood oath. Warbound. War creates strange allies.

I read "Planet Hulk" yesterday afternoon. I read about Miek. Nobody looks up to the insect Miek. The last of his kind. Looking for his kin. Looking for a queen. Looking to wipe away the shame of his father. Nobody knows his loneliness. Nobody knows his shame. Nobody understands why he believes in the green giant that he calls, "Two-Hands".

I read "Planet Hulk" yesterday afternoon. I read about Caeira the Oldstrong. The shadow of the Red King, his chief executioner, his right-hand. The bearer of the old power. The only woman strong enough to defy the Holku, the Worldbreaker, the Green Scar. I read about Caeira and her love for the peasants. For the peasants, she defied a tyrant and banded with the Warbound Monsters. For the peasants, she fell in love with the Holku, the Worldbreaker, the Green Scar.

I read "Planet Hulk" yesterday afternoon. I read about the Silver Savage. Once, he was the herald of Galactus, the planet-eater. Once, he was a hero. Once, he knew the Hulk as his friend, a fellow outcast. Now, he's a slave. Now, he exist to entertain the masses. Now, he's a gladiator against his will. I read about his epic battle with the Green Scar and how together they freed a world.

I read "Planet Hulk" yesterday afternoon. I read about the Red King. The tyrant who thinks himself a god, a saviour. Who rules by bread and circuses. Who is brought down by the monsters he despised.

I read "Planet Hulk" yesterday afternoon. A story of old friends and new enemies. A story of strange bedfellows and stranger allies. A story of blood (and the plants that grew in its place). A story of hope and prophecy. And finally, a story of love and hate. It's a story that haunts me. It's a story that makes me angry. It's a story that makes me sad. It's a story that reminds me about hatred and how it fuels ones actions.

I read "Planet Hulk" yesterday afternoon. I hope you'll read it too.

No comments: